REPTILE BITES

POISONOUS SNAKE OR LIZARD BITE

A bite from a poison snake or lizard requires emergency care. If you have been bitten by a snake or lizard that you know or think might be poisonous, call 911 immediately. Do not wait for symptoms to develop.

If you are not sure what type of snake or lizard bit you, call the Poison Control Center (800) 222-1222 immediately to help identify the snake or lizard and to find out what to do next

POISONOUS SNAKES OR LIZARDS FOUND IN NORTH AMERICA INCLUDES

  • Pit vipers such as the copperhead and the water moccasin
  • Coral snake
  • Gila monster and Mexican beaded lizard

POISONOUS SNAKEBITES SYMPTOMS

Symptoms of a pit viper snakebite often appear from minutes to hours after the bite. It is accompanied by severe burning and swelling the spreads from the site of the bite. Symptoms may include fever, headache, convulsion

The most common symptoms of a poisonous snake are: Redness and bruising around the bite are, dizziness, weakness, fever, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, blurred vision and headaches.

THINGS THAT AFFECT THE SEVERITY OF A POISONOUS SNAKE OR LIZARD BITE INCLUDE

  • Type and size of the snake or lizard
  • Amount of venom injected
  • Potency of the venom injected
  • Location and depth of the bite
  • Number of bites and where they occurred on the body
  • Age, size and health of the person who was bitten

If you do not develop symptoms with 8 to 12 hours, it is possible that no venom was injected, this is called a dry bite. At least 25%, and perhaps up to 50% of bites are dry bites

We offer additional on-site services such as Labs & Testing Services, On-Site Dispensary, Weight Loss Management, School & Sport Physicals, all enhanced with our Telemedicine service.

Featured Services Offered